用户名: 密码:    
切换为不分页显示
【论坛首页】→ 【学习交流】→ 主题:词汇短语学习汇集

字体:    回复
词汇短语学习汇集
luckydrag(2009/1/31 5:57:44)  点击:69910  回复:0  IP:212.* * *

1. a black slate
干净的黑板(新的一天,新的开始)
I have a black slate. = I have a new record without any bad things on it.
例子:I am looking forward to having a black slate at my new college. All new teachers and new classes are people that I have not met before. (转到新的大学,我盼望有一个新的开始。新的老师,新的课程。学校里的人我都还没有见到过。)

2. 活学活用
中译英:在世博英语世界里,每天都有一个新的开始。
英译中:How to Be a Successful Language learner?
"Learning a language is easy. Even a child can do it!"
Most adult who are learning a second language would disagree with this statement. For them, learnig a language is a very difficult task. They need hundreds of hours of study and practice, and even this will not guarantee success for every adult language learner.(待续)

1. bright
聪明,灵光
He is bright. = He is very smart and learns quickly.
她很聪明,学的很快。
(例子):Ask Frank that question. He might know the answer because he is really bright.
那个问题去问法兰克,他很聪明,说不定他知道答案。 2.活学活用
中译英:他是不是一个聪明的小孩。
英译中:Language learning is different from other kinds of learning. Some people who are very intelligent and successful in their fields find it difficult to succeed in language learning. Conversely, some people who are successful language learners find it difficult to succeed in other fields.(待续)
1.Flash in the pan
淘金盆里的反光(空欢喜一场,好景不长)
The band was a flash in the pan. = That band was popular for a short time but then was not at all.
这个产品是淘金盆里的反光。
(例子):That girl was a flash in the pan. We went to two dates but then her ex-boyfriend convinced her to come back to him and I had no chance.

2.活学活用
中译英:我希望这件事对我来说,不是空欢喜一场。
英译中:Language teacher often offer advice to language learners:"Read as much as you can in the new language." "Practice speaking the language every day." "Live with people who speak the language." "Don't translate - try to think in the new language." "Learn as a child would learn; play with the language."

1 fine line
细线(微妙的差别)
There is a fine line between those ideas. = Those ideas seem very similar, but they are different enough to matter.
这俩个主意好像相同,其实有不可忽视的差别。
(例子):Do you really empathize with me or do you only sympathize? There is a fine line between those. Empathize means you under-stand how I feel because you have experienced it also. Sympathize means that you understand how I feel because you can imagine what it was like.
你是体念我呢还是仅仅同情而已? 体念跟同情有细微的差别。体念指能设身处地为别人着想,同情指能理解他人的感情。
2.活学活用
中译英:他们是亲兄弟,但还是有一些细微的差别。
英译中:But what does a successful language learner do? Language learning research shows that successful language learners are similar in many ways.
First of all, successful language learners are independent learners. They do not depend on the book or the teacher; they discover their own way to learn the language. Instead of waiting for the teacher to explain, they try to find the patterns and the rules for themselves. They are good guessers who look for clues and form their own conclusions. When they guess wrong, they guess again. They try to learn from their mistakes.
1 dead center
正当中
That was dead center.
(例子):I was sitting in the dead center of the room so when I left early, everyone noticed.
我坐在正当中,所以提早离开时,全屋的人都注意到了。
2 活学活用
中译英: 我们射击时,尽量打在靶子的正当中。
英译中:Successful language learning is active learning. Therefore, successful learners do not wait for a change to use the language; the look for such a chance. They find people who speak the language and they ask these people to correct them when they make a mistake. They will try anything to communicate. They are not afraid to repeat what they hear or to say strange things; they are willing to make mistakes and try again. When communication is difficult, they can accept information that is inexact or incomplete. It is more important for them to learn to think in the language than to know the meaning of every word.
1 a smoke screen
烟雾
It was only a smoke screen. = It was something that directed our attention from something else.
那不过是炫人耳目的伎俩。
(例子):He told us that he had a new car and that we should go outside to see it. Actually he didn't have a new car; it was only a smoke screen to get us outside so he could eat the last two slices of pizza.
他说他买了新车,让我门到外面去看。其实他并没有新车。那不过是调虎离山之计,把我们骗到外面,他好吃最后的两块匹萨饼。

2 活学活用
中译英:昆虫有时会假死,那只不过是炫人耳目的伎俩。
英译中:Finally, successful language learners are learners with a purpose. They want to learn the language because they are interested in the language and the people who speak it. It is necessary for them to learn the language in order to communicate with these people and to learn from them. They find it easy to practice using the language regularly because they want to learn with it.

1 down to the wire
最后关头。
It was down to the wire. = There wasn't much time left.
直到最后一刻。
(例子):I feel like I am always in a rush because I wait to do thing until it's down to the wire.
我总是赶时间, 因为我常到最后一分钟还忙着。

2 活学活用
中译英:不到最后关头,我们不能放松。
英译中:What kind of language learner are you? If you are a successful language learner, you have probably been learning independently, actively, and purposefully. On the other hand, if you language learning has been less than successful, you might do well to try some of the techniques outlined above.
今天加入了一些新的内容:
1 hit the books
撞书(用功)
I need to hit the books. = I need to study.
例子: If I don't hit the books this week, I won't pass the test.
如果我这星期不用功,我考试就不及格了。

2 活学活用
中译英:英语中有些地方还真有趣,可把"撞书"理解成"用功"。
英译中:How should you built up your vocabulary
Through Context
When students in a college class were asked what should be done when they came across a new word in their reading, 84 percent said, 'Look it up in the dictionary.' If you do, however, you interrupt the very mental processes needed to make your efforts most productive.

3 语法 构词法
英语词的构成有一定的规律,这种规律称为构词法。掌握构词法知识对我们更好的理解词义,认识新词和扩大词汇量有重大的意义。
构词方法有三种:派生法,合成法,转换法。
一. 在一个词的词根前或后加某个词缀产生新词,有前缀,后缀。
构成名词的常用后缀:
-er,-or,-ist,-ee,-ian,-ese,-ant构成人或物的名称.。
例如:thinker, guesser, translator, conductor, physicist, dentist, employee, trainee, physician, Italian, Japanese, assistant等。
(待续)
1 cost someone an arm and a leg
要花上一条胳膊一条腿(代价昂贵)
That cost me an arm and a leg. = That was very expensive.
那东西贵极了。
(例子):I really like my new car, but it cot me an arm and a leg. Now I have no money for new cloths.
我非常喜欢我的新车,不过这辆车贵极了。现在我连买衣服的钱都没了。

2 活学活用
中译英:学习的代价是很昂贵的。
英译中:But there's another reason. Suppose someone asks you what the word "fast" means. You answer, "swift." But does it mean that in such contexts as "fast color", "fast woman", or "fast friend"? And if a horse is fast, is it securely tied or running at top speed? It could be either, It all depends. On the dictionary? NO, on context - on how the word is actually used. After all there are over twenty different meanings for "fast" in the dictionary. But the dictionary doesn't tell you which meaning in intended. That's why it makes such good sense to begin with context.

3 语法 构词法
(2) -ance, -ence, -(a)tion, -ics, -ing, -ity, -ment, -ness, -th, -ty, -ure, -ship等用于构成表示行为,性质,状态的抽象名词。
例如:acceptance, assistance, dependence, confidence, repetition, preparation, discussion, division, physics, fabrics, building, wedding, reality, ability, settlement, argument, greatness, hardness, warmth, length, safety, penalty, failure, pressure, friendship, leadership.等。

1 takes one for the team
为了全队挨一下(为了集体的利益,牺牲个人利益)

He always takes one for the team. = He always sacrifices his own interests for the group's better interest.
他总能为了集体的利益而牺牲个人的利益。

(例子)I took one for the team when my pay was lowered but the company could expand.
把我的薪水调低了,公司以此有了更多的资金扩展业务。这是我为了公司的利益,牺牲个人的利益。

2 活学活用

中译英:在现时代,我们是否还要发扬这种牺牲个人利益的精神呢?

英译中:Through Word Parts

Now for the next step. Often new words contain one or more parts, which, if recognized, provide specific help with meaning. Suppose you read that someone "had a preference for reading travel books." The context certainly isn't too helpful. But do you see a prefix, suffix, or root that you know? Well, there's the familiar prefix pre-, meaning "before" look back at the context and try inserting "before." Reading travel books apparently comes "before" other kinds of reading. Yes, a preference is something put "before" something else.

3 语法 构词法

(2)构成形容词的后缀有:-able -ible -al -ful -less -ish -ive -ous -an -ic -ly -y -ant -ent -ary -en等。

例如:available, suitable, responsible, permissible, natural, national, powerful, faithful, fearless, useless, selfish, childish, collective, decisive, famous, continuous, American, European, historic, scientific, friendly, lively, thirsty, noisy, significant, pleasant, dependent consistent, secondary, imaginary, golden, wooden等

1 grasp for straws
抓稻草(绝望中挣扎)

He was grasping for straws. = He was guessing desperately or searching for answers without many clues.
他完全不知道答案,所以正在瞎猜,这是绝望中挣扎。

例子:Right now the police are only grasping for straws, but they think that they will soon know who the killer was .
现在警方不过是在瞎猜,但是他门觉得不久就能猜出杀人犯是谁。

1 landslide
山崩(压倒性的胜利)

The election was landslide. = One person won the election very easily.
一位候选人大获全胜。

例子:At work, we decided to vote for where we want to eat, and pizza won by a landslide.
办公室里大伙投票决定一起上那儿去吃饭,结果皮萨饼大获全胜。  

1 fall into place
落实,就绪

It should fall into place. = My schedule or plans should become clear to me.
我的计划应该就要快就绪了。

例子:I still need to find a place to live and buy some furniture before my new job starts next week. But, everything should fall into place this weekend when I go looking at apartments.
我下星期开始工作以前还得找住处,买家具。不过周末我去看新公寓的时候,这些事情都该有眉目了。

1 it's Greek to me
希腊文(天书)

That is Greek to me. = That is something I don't understand.
我完全不懂。

例子:I learned calculus in college, but it is all Greek to me now.
我上大学的时候学过微积分,不过现在微积分对我来说是天书。
1 go out on a limb
爬高枝(担风险)

I am going out on a limb. = I will take a chance.
我担着风险。

例子:I hired you even though you have no experience or training. But I went out on a limb for you because you are my friend's son.
虽然你的经验历练不足。我还是担着风险雇佣你,只因为你爸爸是我的朋友。

1.Break a leg
折断了一条腿(表演真实,演出成功) I told him to break a leg. = I told him that I hope he has good luck.

我告诉他祝他演出成功。

例子:Break a leg tomorrow at your job interview. I hope that you get the job.
希望你明天的面谈表现完美, 我祝你得到那份工作。

1 backfire
逆火(弄巧成拙,适得其反)

That backfired. = That happened opposite to my plan.
这件事适得其反。

例子:My plan to cheat at cards backfired when I got caught and punched by my friends.
我打牌想作弊,结果弄巧成拙。我被抓到,大伙揍了我一顿。
1. Monkey business
猢狲把戏(胡闹)

Stop that monkey business. = stop acting silly and not serious.
别胡闹了。

例子:There is too much monkey business going on in this office. If this continues we are going to lose money.
办公室里胡闹的事太多了。再这样下去, 公司要赔钱了。

1 keep an ear to the ground
一耳贴地(注意新动向)

We need to keep an ear to the ground. = We need to listen for new information.
我们得注意有什么新动向。

例子:Keep an ear to the ground at school for someone selling a desk because I need one.
你在学校留意一下有谁要卖桌子,我想买一张。

People used to be able to know if people were coming by listening to the ground for the sound of horses running.

1 framed
被陷害,遭栽赃。

I was framed.

例子: The man was put in jail for stealing from his company, but after they found evidence to show that he was framed, they let him free.
那人因为侵吞公司的钱而被捕入狱,但后来找到证据,他是被人陷害,于是他就被放出来了。

1 just what the doctor ordered
正是大夫说得(对症下药)

That was just what the doctor ordered. = That was something that perfectly satisfied me.
那正是我最需要的。

例子:After working for twelve days without a day off, going to the beach today was just what the doctor ordered.
一连工作了十二天后,今天去海滩玩正是我最需要的。

1 hot
惹火

She is hot. = She is really beautiful.
她很美艳。

例子: The movie was bad but the main actress was hot so it wasn't too boring.
这部电影不怎么样,不过女主角十分美艳, 所以还不沉闷。
1 fight tooth and nail
爪牙并施,拼命抵抗。

I was fight you tooth and nail. = I will not give up.
我决不认输。

例子: That company has been fighting tooth and nail to stay in business since it got more competition.
自从那家公司面对更多竞争,它就拼命抵抗,决不歇业。
1 between a rock and a hard place
进退维谷(前有狼后有虎)

I was stuck between a rock and a hard place. = I was undecided which thing I should do because they both seemed bad to me.
我不能决定到底怎么做,因为左也不好,右也不好。

例子: When I saw my boss stealing things from the company, I was between a rock and a hard place. Should I not tell anyone or should I confront him and risk losing my job?
我看见老板偷了公司里的东西,让我进退两难。我应该装聋作哑,还是应该冒着被解雇的危险去跟他正面冲突呢?

1 joined at the hip
连体婴(死党)

They are joined at the hip. = They are really good friends and they always seem to be together.
他俩是死党,好像总在一起。

例子:If we invite Doug to the party, then Nikki will come too because they are joined at the hip.
要是我们邀请道格,那么妮姬也会来。 这两个人是从来不分开的。

1 one foot in the grave
一只脚已经入了坟(入土三尺)

He has one foot in the grave. = He is very old and will probably die soon.
他年事已高,活不长了。

例子: A man at his age and in his health should not be trying to go skiing. He already has one foot in the grave, skiing could kill him.
一个人到了他这把年纪和这个健康状况,就不该去滑雪。他都入土三尺了,滑雪会要了他的命。
1 low blow
不正当的攻击,下流手段 That was a low blow. = That was unfair and inappropriate to say or to do.
那么说或者做是既不公平也不正当的。

例子:Although you were in the middle of an argument, it was really a low blow to reveal you friend's secret in front of everyone.
纵然争论中不免愤怒,你那么当众揭发你朋友的隐私也还是不正当的。

1 loose cannon
松动的大炮(一触即发的脾气)

She is a loose cannon. = She is unpredictable and could cause trouble.
她喜怒无常,很能惹事。

例子:Don't argue with him after he drinks too many beers. He is a loose cannon when he is drunk.
他灌饱了啤酒时不要跟他争论。他喝醉了就像个松动的大炮。
1 six one way, half a dozen the other
一边六个,一边半打(半斤八两)

It is six one way, half a dozen the other. = It is basically equal.
两边基本一样。

例子:I think that if we go north and then east to get there or east and then north to get there it will be six one way, half a dozen the other.
去那个地方,无论先往北走,再折向东边,或者先往东走,再折向北边,都是一样的。
1 light a fire under your butt
在屁股下点一把火(促其行动)

I had to light a fire under his butt. = I had to give him a reason to motivate himself.
我得想办法让他行动起来。

例子:He graduated nine months age, but still hasn't found a job. I decided to light a fire under his butt so I told him that if he didn't find a job in one month, he would have to move out.
他毕业已经九个月了,还没有找到工作。我得想办法让他行动起来,所以我告诉他,要是一个月里还找不到工作,就得搬出去。

1.seamless
天衣无缝

That was seamless. = That was perfect.
那件事完美无缺。

例子:I don't think that I will fail because I have a seamless plan.
我相信我不会失败,因为我的计划天衣无缝。
2.rob the cradle
劫摇篮(老牛吃嫩草)

He is robbing the cradle. = His girlfriend is significantly younger than him.
他的女朋友比他小的多。

例子:People tell him that he is robbing the cradle because he is 42 and his girlfriend is 23, but he doesn't care because he says that they are in love and age doesn't matter.
人都说他老牛吃嫩草,因为他42,她才23。可他倒不在乎。 他说:只要两人相爱,年龄差距不要紧。
3.burst your bubble
扎破泡泡(打破人的幻想)

I hope to burst your bubble. = I don't want to tell you the truth and ruin your incorrect idea or hope.
我真不愿意把真相告诉你,而打破你的幻想。

例子:I hate to burst your bubble, because I know that you are excited about going to dinner with her. But, I know that she has a boyfriend and only wants to be your friend, nothing more.
我真不愿意杀风景。不过我知道你很高兴能跟她一起上馆子,但是我也知道她已经有男朋友了。她只想跟你做普通朋友,不谈其他。
4.a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
一鸟在手,胜似二鸟在林。

You should know that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. = You should know that it is better to choose the one certain thing than to choose something better that is uncertain.
岂不知还没到手的东西,虽然看起来比较好,却未必是你的.所以不如已经到手的东西.

例子:I wouldn't quit my job because maybe could get a better one. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
我不会因为可能找到更好的工作,就把现在的工作辞了,究竟一鸟在手,胜似二鸟在林.
酷卡十三
1. a bone to pick
可挑剔的骨头(争端,不满)

I have a bone to pick with him. = I have a complaint to tell him about himself.
我要给他提提意见.

例子: I have a bone to pick with Ken. I told him to pick out a gift for the boss from all of us but he only said it was from him.
我要给老侃提提意见,我让他替大伙挑一件礼物送给老板,结果他竟说那是他一个人送的.
2. a cat nap
打个盹儿

I took a cat nap. = I went to sleep for a very short time during the day.
白天我小睡了片刻.

例子: I have an hour break for lunch. I am going to eat and then take a cat nap. Could you please wake me up fifteen minutes before the big meeting?
我中午有一个小时的午餐时间,吃了饭我要小睡片刻.请你在开会前十五分钟把我叫醒.
3.a chip off the old block
大木头上砍下来的小木片(子肖其父)

He is a chip off the old block. = He is like his father.
他很像他的父亲.

例子: Jeff is a chip off the old block. He is tall, handsome, athletic, and a musician like his father.
杰夫是大木头上砍下来的小木片.他高大英俊,擅长运动和音乐,跟她父亲一模一样.
酷卡十四
1 a chip on one's shoulder
肩头的木片(自卑感)

He has a chip on his shoulder. = He has something that bothers him and he doesn't tell people but everyone knows.
他有一种莫名其妙的自卑感,他不说,可大伙都知道.

例子: He doesn't have any friends that are tall and hates all tall people. He really has a chip on his shoulder about being short.
他的朋友没有高个子,他也不喜欢高个子.身材矮小使他有一种莫名其妙的自卑感.
2.A chip on one's shoulder
肩膀上的木片(喜欢向人挑拨)

He has a chip on his shoulder. = He has a bad temper, but no one knows why.
他脾气恶劣,没人知道为什么.

例子: He has a chip on his shoulder about going skiing. I think that maybe he had a bad
accident when he was young and went skiing.
提起滑雪他就脾气恶劣,我想可能他小时候滑雪出过意外.
3.a couch potato
躺椅上的马铃薯(懒鬼)

He is a couch potato. = He is very lazy and watches too much TV sitting on the couch doing nothing.
他是个懒鬼,总是无所事事,靠在躺椅上,看电视看个没完.

例子: My neighbor's wife often comes over to socialize with us. She complains that ever since her husband retired he has become a couch potato. It seems like he only gets up to eat, use the bathroom, or go to sleep.
邻居太太常过来串门.她总抱怨自从她丈夫退休以后就变成了一个懒鬼,出了吃饭,上厕所,和上床睡觉以外,总是在躺椅上不起来.
酷卡十五
1. A cake walk
走去吃糕(易事)

That was a cake walk. = That was very easy.
那是一桩容易的事.

例子: Jeff is better at darts than Rob. After I beat Jeff, beating Rob was a cake walk.
杰夫掷标的本事比罗布强,我既然胜了杰夫,要打败罗布是不费吹灰之力的.
2. A knock out
击倒(美的让人倾倒)
She is a knock out. = She is really pretty.
她非常美.

例子: The woman in that movie was a real knock out.
这部电影的女主角美的让人倾倒.
3. A load off my mind
心头的大石落地.

That was a load off my mind. = That is something I don't have to worry about any more.
我再也不用为那件事操心了.

例子: When my son called me after his trip to tell me he arrived safely, it was a load off my mind.
我儿子飞机降落以后给我打了电话,我心头一块石头才落地.
酷卡十六
1.A nut
傻子,疯子

He is a nut. = He is a little crazy.
他有点疯疯癫癫的.

例子: My teacher is a nut. Everyday he wears socks that don't match and he always comes in the door backwards.
我的老师有点傻气.他每天穿的抹子都不成双,而且总是倒退的进门.
2.A pain in the neck
脖子痛(苦事)

That was a pain in the neck. = That was bothersome and difficult.
这件工作又烦人又困难.

例子: Learning another language is a pain in the neck but ultimately is rewarding.
学外语又烦人又困难,不过以后会苦尽甘来.
3.A piece of cake
一块蛋糕(小菜一碟)

That was a piece of cake. = That was really easy.
这件事很容易.

例子: After hiking twelve kilometers on Friday and eleven on Thursday, hiking four kilometers back to the train station was a piece of cake.
星期五走了十二公里,星期四走了十一公里. 这以后再走四公里回火车站是小菜一碟.
酷卡十七
1. A pig
猪猡 He is a pig. = He is a rude or disgusting man.
他是个粗鲁可厌的人.

例子: He is such a pig. All day he drinks beer and spills food on the floor and he never washes his clothes, brusher his teeth, or takes a shower.
他是个猪猡.他整天喝酒,吃的东西掉的满地都是.从来不洗衣服,不刷牙,也不洗澡.
2. A shot in the dark
盲目射击(瞎猜)

Take a shot in the dark. = Make a guess that will probably be wrong.
姑妄言之.

例子: This is a shot in the dark, but since you are from San Francisco, perhaps you know my friends Len Hill.
我这是胡乱猜猜,不过既然你是旧金山人,你可认识我的朋友莱恩'希尔?

*If you shoot a gun in the dark, you don't have a very good chance of hitting what you want to if you can't see it.
3. A short fuse
引线短(脾气火爆)

He has a short fuse. = He will get angry easily or quickly.
他很容易发脾气.

例子: I never ask my father an important question in the morning because he has a short fuse when he is tired.

我从来不大清早问我父亲重要的事情.因为他还困的时候脾气特别大.
*The fuse is the string that is attached to a bomb or a firecracker.
酷卡十八
1. A sinking ship
正在下沉的船.

That was a sinking ship. = That was something getting close to failing.
那件事已经无可挽救了.

例子: I quit my last job even though I was happy there. I realized that the company was a sinking ship and that I would be looking for a job soon anyway when it went bankrupt.

我虽然挺喜欢我得上一个工作,但还是辞职了.那个公司像是一手正在下沉的船.到它破产的时候,我就是不辞职,也得另找工作了.
2. A slam dunk
灌篮(轻而易举的事)

That was a slam dunk. = That was very easy.
那是轻而易举的事.

例子: After writing twenty page paper for a class last week, writing a three page paper for this class was a slam dunk.
上星期那门课才写过一篇二十页的报告,现在这门课的报告只要三页,这是轻而易举的事.

*A slam dunk is the easiest shot to make in basketball.
3. A slap on the face
脸上挨了一耳光(公然受辱)

That was a slap on the face. = That was an obvious betrayal.
那是公开的侮辱.

例子: It was a real slap on the face not to be invited to her wedding after we had worked together for six years.
跟她同事了六年,居然不请我去参加他的婚礼,这简直是公开的侮辱.
酷卡十九
1.A social butterfly
社交蝴蝶(善于交际,会应酬的人)

She is a social butterfly. = She has many acquaintances and at social gatherings talks to many people.
她的熟人很多.在社交场合她跟和多人应酬.

例子: Whenever I go to a wedding, my feet hurt afterwards. This is because my wife is such a social butterfly that we never sit down at the reception. We are always moving from conversation to conversation talking to everyone.
每次参加婚礼回来我的脚都痛,因为我的太太是个交际花,在婚礼上她永远坐不下来.我们总是在礼堂里走来走去,跟每个人都谈话.
2.A stick in the mud
烂泥中的树枝

I hate to be a stick in the mud. = I hate to be the person that makes something less fun.
我不想煞大伙的风景.

例子: I am sorry to be a stick in the mud, but even though everyone is excited about going on the boat trip, I am not going to go because I will get sick.
很抱歉让你们扫兴,虽然大家阿都对坐船游玩兴奋不已,可我却去不了,因为我会晕船.

3.A thick skin
厚脸皮

He has a thick skin. = He doesn't let criticism or insults bother him.
他对批评和笑骂都处之泰然.

例子: In order to be a politician, you need a very thick skin because everyone is telling you what you did wrong and many bad things are said about you.
做一个政客必须脸皮厚,因为人人都说你作的不对,你受到的诋毁也特别的多.
酷卡二十
1. A thorn in someone's side
腰上的荆棘(芒刺在背)

He is a thorn in my side. = He bothers me or restricts me.
他让我觉得芒刺在背.

例子: His accent has always been a thorn in his side. He is very intelligent, but no one can understand him.
他说话的声音让我觉得芒刺在背.他是个聪明得人, 但是谁也听不懂他的话.
2. Back on track
重上轨道(改过自新)

I am back on track. = I am once again pursuing the correct goal.
我又开始追寻正确的目标了。

例子: She used to drink a lot after work and the next day it would affect her job, but now she has a boyfriend and that has helped put her back on track.
以前她下了班就酗酒,以致影响第二天的工作表现。 现在她心认识论了一个男朋友,那有助于她重上轨道。
3, An uphill battle
上坡作战(在逆境中求胜)

It was an uphill battle. = It was very difficult and we felt like we were not going to accomplish it, but we did.
这件事好比上坡作战,很不容易.我先前还以为做不到,结果却办成了.

例子: Making my parents believe that it was a good idea for me to delay college and travel instead was an uphill battle. I promised that I would go to college after one year, so they agreed.
说服我父母让我辍学去旅游好比作战.我答应他们一年以后回来上大学,他们终于答应了

二十一
1. A weight off my shoulders
放下肩头的重担.

That is a weight off my shoulders. = That is no longer a burden or responsibility to worry about.
那不再是我的责任忧虑了.

例子: Finding a job after three monthes of looking was a huge weight off my shoulders.
经过三个月终于找到了工作,我肩头的重担放下来了.
2. Ace
得满分(得到完美的结果)

I aced it. = I performed perfectly with little trouble.
我得表现,轻易完成.

例子: I didn't ace the test like I thought I did. I actually got ten wrong out of one hundred.
我考满分.实际上90分.
3. All ears
全是耳朵(洗耳恭听)

I am all ears. = Tell me about your trip. I am all ears.
告诉我你的旅行怎么样,我洗耳恭听。
二十二
1. All thumbs
满手都是大拇指(笨手笨脚)

He is all thumbs. = He is uncoordinated.
他笨手笨脚的。

例子:I am all thumbs at shuffing cards. Whenever I try, half of the deck falls on the floor.
我洗牌时笨手笨脚的。每一次我洗牌,总有半幅牌掉在地上。
2. An ace up my sleeve
袖里的王牌

I have an ace up my sleeve. = I have a plan that is unknown to others that will trick them.
我还有个不为人知的计划能治服他们。

例子:He thinks that he can beat me at tennis, but I have an ace up my sleeve. When he watched me play, I used my right hand and I am actually left handed.
他以为他打网球能赢我,岂不知我还有袖里乾坤。他看我练球时,我只用右手,其实我是个左撇子。
3. An open and shut case
明显的事件。

It was an open and shut case. = It was easy to figure out or to understand.
这件事很容易了解。

例子:There were many things that made us end our relationship; it was not an open and shut case.
我们分手的原因很多,这不是容易说得清的事情。
二十三
1. Ants in one's pants
裤裆里有蚂蚁(坐立不安)

Do you have ants in your pants? = Why are you fidgeting so much?
你为什么这么坐立不安?

例子: We were very hungry, so when the food didn't come for a long time, we sat at the table with ants in our pants.
我们都很饿了,所以菜老不上来,我们都有点坐立不安了。
2. Back in the saddle
重上马鞍(重整旗鼓)

I am back in the saddle. = I had a problem but now it is fixed and things are normal now.
我先前有些问题,现在解决了。一切恢复正常。

例子: After my leg heals, it will be nice to be back in the saddle again. I miss playing tennis every Tuesday with Amie and Todd.
我得腿伤好了以后就要卷土重来。这一阵不跟爱米和陶德打网球,真不好受。
3. Ball and chain
铁球铁链,甜蜜的枷(老婆)

I will ask the ball and chain. = I will ask my wife.
我得回去问问我的老婆。

例子:Although would like to go to the party, I am not going because the ball and chain doesn't want to go.
虽然我很想去,但是去不了,因为我的老婆不想去。

*A ball and chain is attached to a prisoner so he cannot move very far.
二十四
1. Beat a dead horse
鞭打死马令其奔驰(徒劳)

I don't want to beat a dead horse. = I don't want to repeat something over and over again.
我不想重复的说一件事。

例子:I hate to beat a dead horse, but it is very important that you understand this before you leave.
我不想多此一举。但你离开以前必须了解这个。
2. Beaten by the ugly stick
被丑杖打过(生的难看)

She was beaten by the ugly stick. = She is very ugly.
她生的很难看。

例子:Did you see that dog? It looked like someone beaten by the ugly stick.
瞧见哪知狗没有? 真难看,看来像被丑杖打过。
3. Beggars can't be choosers
讨饭的谈不上挑三拣四。

I know that beggars can't be choosers. = I know that if I am desperate I cannot be selective.
我知道在我走投无路的时候,我不能嫌好道歹。

例子:I didn't want to eat at this restaurant, but it is the only place that is open this late at night. I suppose that beggars can't be choosers.
我不想光顾这家饭店,但这么晚,别家都关门了。这时候我不嫌好道歹。
二十五
1. Bet on it
下这一注稳赢(有把握,无疑)

You can bet on it. = You can be certain.
你可以确信。

例子: You can bet on it that if it is raining, there will be less empty taxis to take and you will be late.
你可以确信下雨的时候计程车不好叫,你会迟到。
2. Bet your life
把命赌上(绝对错不了)

You can bet your life it is. = I am very certain of something.
我有把握,绝对错不了。

例子:You bet your life I want my money back for that broken TV I bought.
我买的坏电视我要拿去退钱,这一点绝对错不了。
3. Better half
我的另一半

I will ask my better half. = I will ask my spouse. (Wife or husband)
我去问问我的爱人。

例子: Next week is my twentieth anniversary so I want to get a really nice present for my better half that will show her how much I love her.
下星期是我结婚二十周年。我要准备一份好礼物给我的另一半,向他表明我是多么爱他。

*Two halves make a whole. Without your wife or husband you are incomplete.
二十六
1. Big headed
大脑袋(傲慢,自大)

He is big headed. = He is arrogant.
他这个人挺傲慢。

例子:Whenever she wears that dress she gets a big head because she thinks it makes her very beautiful.
她只要穿上那套衣服,就有点儿臭美,自以为怪不错的。
2. Bigger fish to fry
有更大的鱼要炸。(有更重要的事要办)

I have got bigger fish to fry. = I have got other more important problems
or things to do.
我有更重要的事要办。

例子:I forgot to eat breakfast because I was late and now I am very hungry but I have bigger fish to fry. I need to have these papers ready for the meeting so I can't eat now even though I am hungry.
我因赶时间没吃早饭,现在饿得很,但我有更重要的事要办。我得把这些开会要用的文件弄好,所以现在再饿也不能去吃东西。
3. Bite off more than one can chew
贪多嚼不滥。

Don't bite off more than you can chew. = Don't promise more than you can do.
别承担你做不来的事。

例子: I told my boss that I would finish the report tomorrow; however, it is taking longer than I expected. I might have bit off more than I can chew.
我告诉老板这篇报告明天写好,结果需要的时间比我想象的多,我也许揽了我做不来的活儿。
二十七
1. Bite the bullet.
咬子弹(强忍痛苦)

I will have to bite the bullet. = I will have to accept the results.
我得忍受痛苦的结果。

例子:You should just bite bullet and tell Len the truth about how his car got scratched.
你得忍受痛苦的结果,告诉老兰你怎么把他的车刮花的。

*People used to bite a bullet when they had a body part amputated during a war.
2. Blow up in your face
在眼前爆炸(事情完全弄砸了)

That blew up in my face. = That occurred opposite to my plan.
这件事情与我预料相反,完全弄砸了。

例子:My attempt at stealing from the company blew up in my face when I
was caught and fired.
我图谋侵占公司的财物,结果弄砸了。我被抓到,并且解雇了。
3. Bologna
胡说,瞎说。

That is bologna. = That is not true.
那不是真的。

例子:He said that he did his homework but the dog ate it, but we knew that it was bologna.
他说他的作业写好后被狗吃了。我们都知道那是胡说。
二十八
1. Break the ice
破冰(打破僵局)

How will I break the ice? = How will I end the awkwardness of meeting that person for the first time?
跟人初次见面,我怎样才能避免尴尬?

例子:Doug had a party, but many people did not know each other, so he had us play a game to break the ice.
道格开了个舞会,许多人互不认识,所以他让大家玩游戏,以便热闹起来。
2. Brown nose
讨好,献媚

He was brown nosing the teacher. = He was trying to get teacher to like him by using flattery.
他用献媚的手段,希望老师喜欢他。

例子:If I brown nose my mom by doing extra house work, perhaps she'll let me borrow her car tonight
要是我多做家事,讨好我妈,也许她会让我今晚用她的车。
3. Bug somebody
使人讨厌。

That really bugs me.
那实在让我讨厌。

例子:People that tap their pencils all the time at work bug me.
有一种人上班时老用铅笔敲桌子,那实在让我讨厌。
二十九
1. Bull in a China shop
瓷器店里的蛮牛(笨拙的人)

I was a bull in a China shop. = I was very clumsy and awkward.
我有点儿笨手笨脚。

例子:When Paul and I were carrying the carpet through my house, we were like bulls in china shop. We bumped into many things, and broke a lamp.
保罗和我把地毯搬进屋子时,我们像瓷器店里的蛮牛。我们撞到了很多的东西,还打破了一盏灯。
2. Bump into
撞上(巧遇)

I bumped into Len at the bank. = I met Len at the bank by accident.
我在银行里巧遇老兰。

例子: I know that I only went to the market for some bread, but I bumped into an old classmate of mine and we talked for an hour, so that is why I
am late.
我去市场原只要买面包,但凑巧遇上了老同学,谈了一个小时。所以我来晚了。
3. Butterflies in my stomach
肚子里有一只蝴蝶(心里紧张,七上八下)

I have got butterflies in my stomach. = I am nervous.

我很紧张。

例子:When I met my girlfriend's parents for the first time I had butterflies in my stomach.
初次去见我女朋友的父母,我心里七上八下。
三十
1. Clean up one's act
自我检点,自我改进。

I should clean up my act. = I should improve myself.
我应该自我改进。

例子:She told him that if he didn't clean up his act and start looking for a job, she was going to leave him.
他告诉我要是他再不自我改进。并找一份工作,她就要离开他了。
2. Come down in buckets
倾盆大雨。

It is coming down in buckets.
正下着倾盆大雨。

例子:The road was flooded yesterday because the rain was coming down in buckets.
昨天下了一场倾盆大雨,路面都被淹了。
3. Cool your jets
冷静下来

You need to cool your jets. = You need to be less anxious, nervous, or excited.
你必须冷静下来。

例子:Cool your jets! The hotel is just around the bend and we will be there soon, so don't ask me again.
别着急,拐了弯就是旅馆。我们一会儿就到,所以你别在穷问了。

导航:[上一篇下一篇] - [返回]
[本主题共0回复 | 每页显示30回复]

按用户名:  按标题:   按内容:       包括所有回复
【首页】→ 【学习交流】→ 回复:词汇短语学习汇集
标题:
    未登录!    

内容:
UBB:
匿名:×
专区:×
上传:

我们提供15个国家/地区的留学服务。您可以通过我们免费申请海外的10所大学,但是每个国家最多只能申请8所。免费申请的国家包括:英国 / 澳大利亚 / 新西兰 / 加拿大)。收费申请的国家包括:美国 / 香港 / 澳门 / 新加坡 / 爱尔兰 / 德国 / 荷兰 / 丹麦 / 瑞典 / 西班牙 / 马耳他 。海外大学查找

我们提供英国 / 美国 / 澳大利亚 / 新西兰 / 加拿大 / 爱尔兰的幼儿园,小学,初中,高中的私立学校(也称私校或独立学校)申请。海外私校查找

我们是英国签证移民署授权的顾问,我们提供各类英国签证和移民服务。签证类型和价格

我们的课程辅导补习覆盖英国的小学,初中,高中,大学,以及各类语言,备考,艺术辅导。辅导类型和价格

我们提供英国语言学校以及夏令营的申请服务。 语言学校查找 夏令营查找