用户名: 密码:    
切换为不分页显示
【论坛首页】→ 【学习交流】→ 主题:Top 10 presentation mistakes

字体:    回复
Top 10 presentation mistakes
smart(2009/4/2 18:16:21)  点击:69245  回复:0  IP:212.* * *
Top 10 presentation mistakes
Top 10 presentation mistakesMany articles and books have been written on the subject of presentations. Along with good meeting and good negotiating skills, the art of giving a presentation is one of the most fundamental if you want to get ahead in business. But all too often, a business presentation doesn’t have the effect on the audience that was intended. It’s not just what is wrong in terms of content or language, but sometimes the delivery, the use (or abuse) of visuals, a perceived lack of organisation – or even a missing “WOW” factor turn a presentation into a dull, boring “speech”.
Here are my top ten presentation mistakes:

1. Ignoring the “What’s in it for me?” factor
Any time you give a presentation, you should first think about why the audience is there. This “What’s in it for me?” factor is vital. Unless you involve and get your audience’s attention from the start, you’re going to lose their interest. Starting your presentation with a “hook” (a reason to listen to you) is one crucial step in making sure your audience pays attention.

2. Not practising in front of a live audience
Even if you feel confident that you know your presentation word for word, nothing compares to real, live practice. Deliver your presentation to a colleague, a family member or a friend, and you will soon know which areas of your presentation cause you difficulty.
There is no substitute for practice. My first teacher-trainer told me she practised her first ever lesson to her dining room table and chairs. Although a lesson is obviously not a business presentation, the principles are similar. If you practise, you get a better idea of timing, a better feel for where you need to pause, and you become more aware of nervous habits. So much better if the person you’re practising to can also video you. It may be embarrassing at first, but all exceptional public speakers use video to help them give great presentations.

3. Forgetting the main principle of public speaking
Audiences have short attention spans. They’re likely to remember less than one half of what you tell them. Some audience members get bored, drift off in day dreams, or start thinking about other things. Then when a colleague asks what your presentation was about, they’re unable to give a good summary. Help your audience remember what your presentation is about with these three rules:
- Tell them what you are going to tell them
- Tell them
- Tell them what you have told them
Essentially, you tell them at the beginning what the presentation is about. Then you give your presentation. Finally, you summarise what you have said.

4. Using too many visuals
Visuals can be distracting. It is better to use fewer, but more self-explanatory visuals, than to overload your audience’s attention by giving them too many to look at. In my opinion, a good speaker can engage an audience better if he or she speaks directly to them. Use visuals only when the information you want to give is much better understood graphically. Choose your visual style carefully, and remember you can present information in a variety of ways, such as pie charts, graphs, tables and so on.
Here's an interesting article on avoiding problems with visuals.

5. Not giving people time to look at visuals before commenting on them
Don’t fight with your visuals. As soon as you present a visual, your audience is going to look at it. Don’t distract them by talking while they are looking. By giving them a few seconds to absorb the information, you can then be sure to have their attention when you explain what is important or interesting about the information.

6. Using font that is too small
I was devastated to hear that during my first ever presentation (which I had worked so hard at!) the people at the back of the audience couldn’t see or read the slides. The font was just too small. Don’t underestimate how large the font will need to be, and if possible, try a visual in a similar sized room before you make all your slides or visuals. If the room is large, nothing less than 20 point will be visible to people at the back.

7. Using bad colour combinations
Blue or black text on white = good
Red text on yellow = bad
Don’t make your audience strain to read what you have written. Some colour combinations just do not work. When in doubt, stick to a classic blue or black text on a white or cream background.

8. Not having a clear questions policy
Let your audience know at the beginning of your presentation how you are going to handle questions. It is probably easier and less stressful if you have questions at the end of the presentation. Then you can speak knowing that you won’t be distracted. A simple sentence such as “Please feel free to ask questions at the end of the presentation” is generally enough.

9. Speaking too fast
A sure sign of nervousness, if you speak too fast, you risk losing your audience. Don’t be afraid to pause for effect and to let your audience absorb information. On the other hand, don’t speak so slowly that the audience risk getting bored. Practising your presentation before will help you find the optimum speed.

10. Bad or nervous posture
Body language is one of those almost undefinable factors that help us form an impression of someone. If you look relaxed, people will relax around you. If you look nervous (by standing stiffly or by making nervous gestures) your audience will not feel relaxed either. This can make the difference between a bad and a great presentation, so practise in front of the mirror to see how you look when you stand in front of people.

导航:[上一篇下一篇] - [返回]
[本主题共0回复 | 每页显示30回复]

按用户名:  按标题:   按内容:       包括所有回复
【首页】→ 【学习交流】→ 回复:Top 10 presentation mistakes
标题:
    未登录!    

内容:
UBB:
匿名:×
专区:×
上传:

我们提供15个国家/地区的留学服务。您可以通过我们免费申请海外的10所大学,但是每个国家最多只能申请8所。免费申请的国家包括:英国 / 澳大利亚 / 新西兰 / 加拿大)。收费申请的国家包括:美国 / 香港 / 澳门 / 新加坡 / 爱尔兰 / 德国 / 荷兰 / 丹麦 / 瑞典 / 西班牙 / 马耳他 。海外大学查找

我们提供英国 / 美国 / 澳大利亚 / 新西兰 / 加拿大 / 爱尔兰的幼儿园,小学,初中,高中的私立学校(也称私校或独立学校)申请。海外私校查找

我们是英国签证移民署授权的顾问,我们提供各类英国签证和移民服务。签证类型和价格

我们的课程辅导补习覆盖英国的小学,初中,高中,大学,以及各类语言,备考,艺术辅导。辅导类型和价格

我们提供英国语言学校以及夏令营的申请服务。 语言学校查找 夏令营查找